“Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly”.
M. F. K. Fisher
Chocolate Date Cake Recipe
-250g Dates, chopped
-1/2 teaspoon Bicarb Soda
-90g Coconut or Rapadura Sugar
-2 Free Range Eggs
-2 tbs (heaped) Self Raising Flour
-2 tbs Plain Flour
-1 tbs Cocoa or Cacao powder
-4 tbs Shredded or Desiccated Coconut (preservative free)
1. Place dates and bicarb in a bowl with 1/2 cup boiling water, and soak for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 190 degrees (170 fan)
3. Line a 15-20cm cake tin with unbleached baking paper
4. Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and beat well
5. Sift flour and cocoa into the mixture and fold it in
6. Fold in dates and coconut
7. Bake for 45 minutes
8. The icing on the cake is to top it with coconut icing (stir a tablespoon or two of coconut into icing). My mum used to make the icing pale pink, which is such a gorgeous contrast to the dark cake. These days I’d only be doing that with a completely natural food colouring.
WHAT MY CLIENTS SAY
““Arwen recently guided me through a particularly bad winter virus with her essential oils and general wellbeing advice. I gained great benefit from Arwen’s suggestions and look forward to some follow-up Reiki soon.”