Grateful or Anxious – which one are you?
We hear the word Gratitude everywhere these days. It’s all over social media and weekend magazines. How you’re meant to feel it, say it, be grateful. Do you find that difficult? Do you just give it a cursory thought or express it in a few brief words before you move back to thinking about how you’ll be happy when you get that project finished, you buy that new dress, you lose a couple of kilos… I’ll be happy when syndrome is absolutely rife in modern western society and largely because we are constantly bombarded with messages about how we should look, what we should buy, which place we should want to live and where we should go on holiday. In the words of Jennifer Aniston, we are exposed to a constant barrage of ‘compare and despair’ material everywhere we look.
So why is this a problem. What does it mean if you find it hard to feel gratitude? It means that you are not living in the moment and you will NEVER feel satisfied with your life and what you have NOW. This then has a detrimental effect on your wellbeing. The definition of anxiety is desiring or being concerned for something to happen in the future. If you can’t feel gratitude what you are probably feeling, is anxious. Let’s be clear here, that we all feel worried about something in the future from time to time but when you have a persistent concern, worry, dread or negative attitude about the future, this is where there is a problem. This is where you enter into a cycle of negative energy – anxiety, fear about the future, inability to feel gratitude, rinse and repeat!
7th Chakra | Crown Chakra
If you do have difficulty feeling gratitude this may be because your 7th Chakra is out of balance. The 7th, or Crown Chakra is located on top of your head and is all about your sense of connection with the Universe, or a higher power, as well as feeling supported by this connection. The 7 Chakras are the main energy centres of the body and are active on all energetic levels – physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. There are also many other smaller energy centres in the body that follow the energy pathways, or meridians.
Physical symptoms of an imbalanced 7th Chakra are headaches and migraines (check out my video on this if you are a sufferer), brain disorders including tumours and problems with cognition, as well as coma, memory problems including dementia and amnesia, and autoimmune disorders. All pretty serious stuff.
How to increase Gratitude and decrease Anxiety
What can you do to balance your Crown and improve your ability to feel gratitude?
- Reiki – Reiki is wonderful for helping to balance the Crown, and all other chakras too! This is because Reiki works on your energies at all levels – physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. Reiki is a great support tool to use for anxiety and will improve your ability to feel gratitude.
- Exercise – exerting ourselves physically at a high intensity helps to bring balance to the Crown chakra. Have you ever noticed that when you are doing high intensity exercise you cannot think about anything else? You are purely focused on the physical activity. It is almost a meditation in itself. So now is the time to choose the run rather than the jog, the Bikram Yoga rather than the Hatha, the HIIT rather than the Core class!! Get sweating and breathless and balance that Crown!
- Meditation – As with all Chakra imbalance, meditation is highly recommended to help bring balance back to the Crown. The easiest and most common form of Meditation is Mindfulness, which is all about being in the moment and will therefore increase your awareness and ability to feel Gratitude for what you have NOW. Check out my blog and video on Meditation if you are currently thinking up excuses as to why you can’t do it – I’ve got them all covered! There are so many apps and YouTube videos out there to help you get into meditation. Just do it!
- Nature – being in nature also has great benefits for improving balance in your Crown (and First Chakra ). You don’t need to travel a long way to do this if you live in the city – just go to the local park or beach or river. When we have a beautiful natural view to look at we are much more likely to just ‘be’ and this can be wonderful for pulling you into the moment and feeling grateful for the wonder in front of you, the power of the Universe (or whatever higher power you believe in) manifesting in the creation of this beauty
- Express Gratitude – make sure that on a daily basis you think about at least 3 things that you are grateful for over the previous 24 hours and either say them or write them down. They can be really small things – like the delicious chai you had to drink or the easy traffic on the way to work. This is a nice way to start or finish your day (or both) and can also be a great thing to do at the dinner table – everyone has to say their 3 things and they can’t repeat more than 1 each day!
- Split your Head Open – no you don’t need to hurt yourself! This is one of those physical visualisations that I like to use for Chakra balance. Put your fingers on the top of your head where you would have a part in your hair – right down the middle. Now imagine a surgeon has just made an incision down that part line and you are going to gently, lovingly pull your head into two halves! From the top of your head a beautiful white clockwise spinning vortex of energy emerges, filling you with gratitude and excitement for the future!
If you would like any more information about increasing gratitude or reducing anxiety – or anything else to do with your Wellbeing – please contact me.
If you are ready to increase your levels of gratitude and decrease anxiety then book a brilliant balancing Reiki session with me now!